- Springfield Public Schools
- SPS Current Events
Student-athletes from Springfield High School honored at athletic signing day
Student-athletes from Springfield High School were honored Wednesday at the annual athletic signing lunch. Family, friends and fellow classmates joined for a short ceremony where coaches offered a few words about each of the 10 athletes
Audrea Shelley, the district’s athletic director kicked off the event with a short speech about the importance of high school athletics.
“Being involved in athletics keeps you accountable,” Shelley said. “There are statistics that show that young people who are involved in athletics are also more successful in the classroom as well.”
Shelley also mentioned what a privilege it is for students to not only to attend college but to continue to play their favorite sports.
“Not a lot of people get to pursues what they love and work toward a college degree at the same time,” she said.
Student-athletes from the school’s men and women’s basketball team, men’s swim team, track and field, volleyball, women’s soccer and football were recognized for their hard work and dedication to their sport.
Some students signed formal offers to attend the colleges where they’ll continue to play their beloved sports, others had already formally committed to their higher education institutions of choice.
Congratulations to all of the Springfield High School student-athletes who will be moving on to play various sports for teams across the Pacific Northwest.
Here’s the complete list of SHS student-athletes and where they will be competing.
- Zach Brown – Clark College – Basketball
- Emma McKenney - OIT – Women’s Basketball
- Kayley Elliott – Chaminade University – Women’s Basketball
- Masey Williams – College of the Siskiyous – Women’s Basketball and Volleyball
- Kilano Loyd – NCU – Track
- Josh Spaulding – Pacific University – Football
- Bryleigh O'Neil – Willamette University – Track
- Emelia Sherman – Willamette University – Track
- Jazlyn Moulton – Warner Pacific – Women's Soccer
- Elijah Dapkus – George Fox – Swimming