During the 2010-11 school year, the district came to the difficult conclusion that it would be necessary to close some of our schools in response to changing demographics and thoughtful analysis of facilities usage and sustainability. [Read more about the Facilities Advisory Committee's conclusions here.]
June 2011 marked the closure of four schools: Camp Creek Elementary School, Goshen School, Mohawk Elementary School and Springfield Middle School.
Two other schools, Brattain Elementary and Moffitt Elementary, closed in June 2012, are being consolidated into a new elementary school, Two Rivers–Dos Ríos Elementary School, in the former Springfield Middle School.
Camp Creek Elementary:
Original records were destroyed by fire, but it is known that there used to be two schools, Upper and Lower Camp Creek, serving residents in east Springfield. In 1948,the two schools consolidated with Springfield in 1948, with the current building constructed in 1949. It was expanded in 1959 to include a multipurpose room.Camp Creek Elementary enrollment was 54 students in grades K-5 as of September 2010. The students will transition to Walterville Elementary in the fall of 2011.
News stories about Camp Creek:
The first school building in the small, rural community of Goshen was a one-room log cabin built in the 1850s shortly after the area was settled. A new two-room school had to be built later in the century on a different site when the railroad came through. The current Goshen School was built in 1949, shortly after the school district consolidated with the Springfield School District, and the first PTA was organized. In 1954, the school became a K-6. Around 1997, it became a K-8.
Goshen School’s enrollment was 87 students as of September 2010. The school’s K-5 students will transition to Centennial Elementary in the fall, with 6-8 students heading to Hamlin Middle School.
Source: "Goshen History" document (1976)
News stories about Goshen:
Mohawk Elementary School:
Mohawk has an interesting history. It appears the first school in the community was built sometime in the mid-1800s. A larger school, named Ping Yang School, was built in 1895; reports differ about why the school was given a Chinese name, but the ill-fated school suffered several bombing attempts and eventually was consumed by fire. Eugene art icon Maude Kerns reported taught at the school during its short existence. A two-room structure was erected in 1909, and when the district consolidated with Springfield in 1949, the school became a K-6 school. The current school facility was built in1963 in response to a growing community; the school it replaced was converted to a house.
Mohawk Elementary’s enrollment was 64 students as of September 2010. Mohawk’s K-5 students will transition to Yolanda Elementary in the fall of 2011.
News stories about Mohawk:
Springfield Middle School:
Springfield Middle School opened in 1951 as Springfield Junior High, housing grades 7 and 8, replacing the previous Junior High that was located on Mill St. in what is currently the Administration Building. (Side note: the Admin Building was originally Springfield High School before that school was opened.) The new school was built in response to growing population trends during the post-war boom. (Another side note: Thurston Middle School was built in 1953 with a similar floor plan.) Records are not clear as to when the school's name changed to Springfield Middle School.
Of SMS's 300 students, about 140 transitioned to Hamlin Middle School and 160 transitioned to Briggs Middle School in the fall of 2011.
News stories about SMS:Brattain Elementary School:Brattain was built in 1925 in response to escalating enrollment. The school first opened in 1926 as a seven-room building on a site donated by the family estate of Paul Brattain, a Springfield settler. According to local historians, wheat and berries had been cultivated on the area now occupied by the school. In a 1976 article by Steve Arthur, the first principal and teacher was Mrs. Ora Reed Hemenway. The story goes on to report that a nursery was built on the site for working mothers during WWII, and the district later bought the building to use as a cafeteria. More room additions were made in 1940, 1950 and 1953.Brattain's students will be joining those from Moffitt at the new Two Rivers–Dos Ríos Elementary School, located in the former Springfield Middle School facility. The Brattain facility was renovated and repurposed as the Brattain Early Learning Center.Moffitt Elementary School:Moffitt opened as West Side School in the fall of 1951 with five classrooms. Additional classrooms, the library and cafetorium were added in 1953. Six more classrooms were added in 1955, which was also when the School Board decided to change the name to Moffitt after Laurence Moffitt, who had served as principal of Springfield's Lincoln School, Lane County School Superintendent and superintendent for Josephine County Schools before becoming assistant superintendent for Springfield Public Schools in 1953. When it was dedicated as Moffitt in 1955, it had a staff of 20 teachers and 640 students.Moffitt's students will join those from Brattain at the newly renovated Two Rivers–Dos Ríos Elementary School.