As a result of changes to open enrollment law, Springfield Public Schools is creating a more consistent process for families to demonstrate where they reside. Students must reside within the boundary of the school at which they are enrolled unless a student has an approved open enrollment, within-district or inter-district transfer, or is verified as eligible to attend through the McKinney-Vento Homeless Act. Parents or legal guardians must submit proof of eligible residency each year.
Proof of address must be submitted at the time of registration if the student did not attend that school the previous year, or if documents mailed to the family have been returned to the school (considered a “new student”). For example, a student who was a fifth-grader at Yolanda last year and is beginning his sixth-grade year at Briggs must submit proof of address during registration at Briggs.
Proof of address must be submitted no later than October 15 if the student attended the same school the previous year (considered a “returning student”). For example, a student who was third-grader at Ridgeview last year and is returning to Ridgeview for fourth grade must provide proof of address by October 15.
In order to demonstrate proof of address, one document from each category listed below must be provided.
1. Parent/legal* guardian photo ID:- and -
• Current Oregon driver’s license
• Current Oregon State ID card
• Valid passport
- and -
2. A document that includes the parent/legal* guardian’s resident address:
• Current property tax bill
• Current rental/lease agreement (must include parent/legal guardian name, student name, address, property manager or owner name, and property manager or owner phone number)
• Escrow papers
3. A piece of mail dated from within the last 45 days that includes the parent/legal* guardian’s resident address:
• Electric bill
• Water/sewer bill
• Garbage bill
• Cable/satellite bill
* Legal guardians are required to furnish copies of court orders appointing them as guardians.