ZPass Frequently Asked Questions

  • Bus Pass Program - Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ’s)


    1. If my student currently rides a district bus do I need to register them for transportation services?

      Yes, you will need to register your student for transportation services each year that your child attends school and is in a bus eligible zone for the school they attend.

    2. If my student is not currently riding a district bus and I want them to start riding, do I need to register for transportation services?

      Yes, existing students currently not riding the bus as well as new students arriving at the district will need to register for transportation services in order to receive a bus pass for the current school year.

    3. If my student is on an IEP or IFSP that requires transportation, do I need to register my student for transportation services?

      No, parents of students with transportation in their IEP or IFSP will be registered for transportation services through the IEP/IFSP process.  

    4. How do I register for transportation services? 

      You can register your student for transportation services, if eligible, through our registration link here.

    5. What will my student’s bus pass look like?

      The district has partnered with a company called Zonar to provide passive RFID cards or badges (referred to as a ZPass badge) as the district standard bus pass.  These cards will be scanned as students enter and exit the bus recording the card number, location, and time. This information can be accessed by select district staff as well as parents using an App from Zonar called the ZPass+ Ridership Alerts App.

    6. Is there sensitive student information stored on my student’s ZPass badge?

      No, the only information that is stored on the ZPass badge is a randomly generated number that is only meaningful to the ZPass program.  A lost or stolen ZPass badge does not put sensitive student information at risk.

    7. What is the cost to get a bus pass?

      There is no cost for families to participate in the program, receive the ZPass badge, or to download the ZPass+ Ridership Alerts App. 

    8. What do I do if my student loses their ZPass badge?

      In the event of a lost badge, the student or parent will need to immediately contact the Transportation Office at (541) 744-6373 to request a replacement badge.  The first replacement badge will be free, however additional replacement badges may result in a $5 replacement fee. Students who lose their bus pass will be required to get a temporary pass each day from the school office until they receive a replacement ZPass badge.

    9. What happens when a student forgets to bring their badge to the bus stop in the morning?

      Students will be allowed to ride to their school.  In order to board the bus in the afternoon, they will need to get a temporary bus pass at the school office.

    10. Does my ZPass work on an LTD bus?

      No, The ZPass is only for use on district buses.

    11. How do I get the ZPass+ Ridership Alerts App?

      Start by registering for a ZPass+ account on the district website at https://www.springfield.k12.or.us/Page/85.  In order to setup your account, you will need to enter a number from your student’s bus pass.  Once you have successfully registered for an account you will be able to download the ZPass+ App to your personal device.

    12. Is participation in the Bus Pass Program mandatory?

      Yes, all district bus riders will need to have a bus pass to ride a district school bus.

    13. Is participation in the electronic tracking portion of the Bus Pass Program mandatory?

      No, while participation in the electronic tracking portion of the program is highly encouraged by the district, participation is not mandatory.  Parents, as well as students 14 and older, may opt out of the electronic tracking capabilities of the Bus Pass Program. To opt out of electronic tracking, you will need to complete the Bus Pass Electronic Tracking Opt Out Form available on the Springfield Public Schools Website.   It is important to note that even if you elect to opt out of the electronic tracking portion of the program, your student will still need to use their bus pass to get on the school bus. 

    14. What does it mean to opt out of the electronic tracking portion of the Bus Pass Program?

      All bus riders will be issued a ZPass badge that will allow them to ride a district school bus.  By opting out of the electronic tracking portion of the program, the ZPass badge will be deactivated, removing the ability to scan the card when the student gets on and off the bus.  Rather than scanning, the student will need to display their bus pass to the driver in order to board the bus.

    15. What do I do with the Bus Pass at the end of the school year?

      Bus passes are only valid for one school year.  We are asking parents to discard the ZPass badges at the end of the school year.  At the beginning of the next school year, parents will be asked to register their student(s) for transportation services and new bus passes will be issued.

    16. What is passive RFID technology?

      RFID (radio frequency identification) is a form of wireless communication that incorporates the use of electromagnetic or electrostatic coupling in the radio frequency portion of the electromagnetic spectrum to uniquely identify an object.  Passive RFID, the type of RFID used by the Zonar ZPass Ridership Program, does not have a local power source or a built-in battery. It is powered by electromagnetic energy transmitted from the RFID reader located on the school bus. The power from the reader induces a current that allows the card to be read.