English Language Development
The English Language Development (ELD) program provides specialized English language instruction to students who are not yet fluent in English.
The goal of the English Language Development program is to support our English learners to succeed in school by increasing their English language proficiency while ensuring they have access to core class content in their regular classrooms.
Our program is designed to provide systematic English language instruction, using Oregon's English Language Proficiency standards.
- Read full details about the SPS English Learner Plan
Typical ELD Options
During the school day, English language learners may be enrolled in the following options, depending on their grade level:
- ELD Pull-out
- ELD Push-in
- ELD Class Period
- ELD Newcomer Program
- Sheltered Instruction: English language assistance in the regular classroom
Services for ELD Students and Families
The ELD Program also provides the following free services that benefit ELD students and families:
- Our Welcome Center is a resource for ELD families and students to receive information and support in Spanish.
- Interpretation services are available for parent communication.
- Free or low-cost English, bilingual computer, Spanish literacy and citizenship classes are available via Downtown Languages.
640 A Street
Springfield, OR 97477
Bryan Reed, ELD District Specialist
Jessica Taylor, ELD Secretary
Statewide ELL Report
Oregon English Learners Report (English and Spanish)
(an annual publication required by ORS 327.01)